Re: RARA-AVIS: Dorothy B. Hughes questions

Frank Glenewinkel (Frank.Glenewinkel@Uni-Koeln.DE)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:18:55 +0000 billha@ionet.net (Bill Hagen) wrote:
> So--any other Hughes' titles I should
> definitely read to get a feel for what she was doing?

If you have not already done so, I would heartily recommend "In a
Lonely Place", IMO the best book by Hughes.
Hughes managed to create a dark noir atmosphere in this book which
still grips nowadays and made me re-read it a few times.
Moreover the plot is more convincing than some other works by her
like "Cross-Eyed Bear Murders" or "So Blue Marble" which stroke me as
quite dated.
It is interesting to see how much of the Lonely Place plot was
changed for the film version. I read somewhere (it might have been
the BBC book) that the film company could easily have avoided to pay
Hughes anything for the film rights if they had added the small
further alteration of simply changing the protagonists names.

I would be interested to learn what you think of the film wich I
think is arguably the most "noir" of all Bogart films (and my
favourite one).

Frank