Re: RARA-AVIS: Blurbs and God is a Bullet

Fred Willard (fwillard@mindspring.com)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:04:25 -0500 At 11:08 AM 1/14/99 -0800, Dave wrote:

>The reality is, few of these fellow writers ever read ANY of some
>stranger's book. The worst is Ellroy, who always gives some over-the-top
>"Ellroyism" to countless books I KNOW he never reads. A quote from the
>Dog is a joke ...

That may well be true in some cases, but my experience is that the reverse
is true. If you are an unknown author of fiction, about the only way you
are going to get the qulaity of blurbs that start buzz is because people
are enthusiastic about your writing.

Several months ago I was asked to read for comment the manuscript of a very
hardboiled first novel - God is a Bullet by Boston Teran. The writing was
so good it knocked me on my ass. I called Billl Diehl and said, "You have
to read this manuscript." He did. He loved it and called his friends and so
on. Now all these people are raving about it and it hasn't been published yet.

That's how it works.

God is a Bullet should be out later this year (Knopf), and I'm going to be
standing in line to buy a copy when it does. I don't know Teran. We don't
share agents or publishers and so on.

The rest of life is just like a big version or rara-avis in that people
like to tell other people about books they like. If we were all that
cynical, we would have found a career that actually paid money.

Fred

----
Down on Ponce a novel by Fred Willard
http://www.mindspring.com/~fwillard