Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: product placement

Fred Willard (fwillard@mindspring.com)
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:48:46 -0500 At 10:17 AM 1/6/99 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:

>Personally, I don't necessarily mind product placement, as long as it's not
>blatant, but it still, somehow, cheapens the work. Just ask anyone who's
>ever heard their favorite song retooled in a TV commercial to sell
>barbeques, dental floss or sanitary napkins.
>
>There are several writers on this list. What do you think?

I'm sure there are many writers on the list whose opinions will be of more
interest than mine... but that's never stopped me in the past, so why
should it now?

I don't look at this as an ethical issue like whether killing reviewers is
an appropriate response to bad notices. Taking even a critic's life is a
serious moral transgression. (Not only that, but I'm in the process of
writing a review as we speak).

The only deal I want to make is with my readers. I'll try to write as well
as I can. I hope this encourages them to buy my books.

Fred

----
Down on Ponce a novel by Fred Willard
http://www.mindspring.com/~fwillard