Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: product placement

Fred Willard (fwillard@mindspring.com)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:47:56 -0500 At 09:20 AM 1/5/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Re Bill's question below:
>
>"I recall reading a review that pointed to Ian Fleming as one of the first,
>if not the first, to consistently use product names, where a typical
>realist might use generic nouns. Anyone locate this practice before
>Fleming?"
>
>Hammett and others would specifically mention cigarettes or tobaccos, ammo
>and weapon brands, specific types of cars, occasionally beers. - Jim
>Doherty

I remember Fleming's use of product names jumped out at me in a
contemporary reading of his books. He wasn't likely the first to do so, but
there was something about the way he detailed products that was unusual at
the time.

I remember reading a review of one of his books which discussed the product
fetishism of the rituals of preparation he had Bond go through.

I personally think he was just trying to give a feel of the times. While
the sixties may have been a decade we normally associate with
counter-culture, they also gave birth to a pronounced consumerism that was
very "brand" conscious.

As an example, it was a time in which wealthy people who in the past had
their suits made to order by tailors, began, instead to buy ready-to-wear
clothes from boutiques operated by designers like Bill Blass and Yves St.
Laurent. They were looking for the brand association.

Fred

----
Down on Ponce a novel by Fred Willard
http://www.mindspring.com/~fwillard