RARA-AVIS: It's that Webley again/Bob Skinner(was end of year housecleaning

Peter Walker (pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:30:32 +0000 Frederick Zackel wrote:
> Congratulations to Bob Skinner on your new contract!
> Lastly, I think I read somewhere that Hammett knew exactly what a rare
> monster that Wembley was. It stood out; Spade knew it and so did the
> cops.
Strange but true. An Ely Bros. Webley .455 revolver turns up in the
new Bob skinner as a killers gun. This is a slightly different model
than the one in "The Maltese Falcon" but, as our Fred says, its
purpose is to stand out and be noticed. Perhaps an oblique reference
to Hammett? (In which case they don't get more oblique than this!)
Incidently I'm really enjoying Bob's book and, on the
strength of the first 50 pages, would recommend it. I've got a signed
copy - number 45 - so you can all feel envious. Great cover as well.
I'll report in full when I've finished it. Another strange - not to
mention downright weird - thing is to come face to face with a fellow
rara-avian on the cover of Bob's book. Did make me stop and think
what the rest of you look like.....
All the best for the New Year to you all.
Peter.