RARA-AVIS: Webley Fosbery .38 automatic revolver (Was: Ah! Back on topic! or Sgt. Rock, P.I.)

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 08:13:58 -0800 On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, "Robert E. Skinner" <rskinner@mail.xula.edu> wrote:

>>(Marlowe and Spade come to mind)
>
> We don't know for certain about Spade. Remember, he mentioned being in
> England and had a familiarity with Webley-Fosbury automatic revolvers,
> which were for the most part used by British military officers who were
> expected to furnish their own sidearms. Spade could well have been in
> the AEF, or, like Chandler, gone to Canada to join a Canadian regiment
> before American participation.

The .38 Webley Fosbery Automatic Revolver was not in production for
long.

I'm not at all familar with gunsmithery or gun collecting, but I have
looked up the WFAR precisely because of its role in the Maltese Falcon.
I don't think that one could say with any safety or certainty that this
particular model

> [was] for the most part used by British military officers

Here's what I know:

The .38 used rimless cartridges which required an additional loading
disk or clip to be fitted to the revolving cylinder. Because of this,
this model was less popular than the .38 semi-automatic (ie *non*
revolver) and few of the revolvers were sold. According to Peter P.
Gillis, "The model 1902, thirty-eight calibre, Webley Fosbery automatic
revolver is, and always was, a very scarce item." Too rare in fact,
according to Gillis, to be dumped at the scene of Archer's killing or to
be carried in Thursby's pocket.

Production of this unpopular firearm ceased and about a hundred of the
.38s were dismantled in the factory to provide parts for forty-fives.

Gillis suggests that Hammett might not have been aware of the rarity of
the .38 automatic revolver; in Huston's 1941 film the weapon used to
kill Archer is referred to as a '.45' because, Gillis suggests, someone
involved in the film *was* aware of the extreme rarity of this .38.
However, while Hammett's book refers to a very rare gun, Huston's film
refers to a non-existent one: no eight-shot .45s were ever made.

See Peter P. Gillis, 'An Anomaly in _The Maltese Falcon_', _American
Notes & Queries_ 8 (1995) 29-31.

ED