RARA-AVIS: Sgt. Rock, and Lew Archer

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:43:37 -0500 I wrote:
>There's certainly far more common shared characteristics than military
>service, nor would it a distinguishing characteristic.

But I meant to say:

And Mark wrote:
>There do seem to be many vets among private eyes, but I agree with Kevin
>that there is a big difference between the attitudes of veteran PIs pre-
>and post-Vietnam. Given the nature of patriotism and the draft through
>the World Wars and even Korea, in which Lew Archer served, any fit male
>served. Therefore it would cast aspersions on the PIs manhood if he,
>like Frank Sinatra and John Wayne, had not served.

A very good point, and Mark's bit about a sorta like-Nam attitude among WWI
vets is dead on. Some of the early pulp eyes mention trenches and mustard
gas and the like, in much the same way jungles and Napalm and Agent Orange
are later evoked...

One thing I've noticed is that several French novels (those by Leo Malet
and Didier Daeninckx come to mind)
and none of the ones I've stumbled across have romanticized it in the
least. I guess when the war's going down on your street, it's hard to
pretend it's some Boy Scout game of capture the flag.

>However, to my mind, Archer is the beginning of a change in emphasis.
>Archer was clearly disillusioned by his military experience.

Explaining, perhaps a bit, part of his popularity in the sixties and
seventies among the boomers? Although, to tell the truth, most of the
people I know who enjoy Macdonald all seem to have discovered and devoured
him at more or less the same age (late teens to mid-twenties), regardless
of when they were that age. Which probably ties in with his use of
disillusioned, confused kids of more or less the same age trying to deal
with big choices in almost every book.

And gee, Bill, thirty-five years ago? You started reading when you were
four? I'm impressed!

Kevin Smith
The Thrilling Detective Web Site
http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

This month: New fiction by Burl Barer and Kim Sellers,
and a look at the 1998 Private Eye scene in our P.I. Poll.

#