Re: RARA-AVIS: Question: Justin Scott/PI Ben Abbott

Peter Walker (pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:38:34 +0000 Mark Sullivan wrote:
> I've read two of Justin Scott's Ben Abbott novels, Hardscape and Stone
> Dust. ..... Still, neither was memorable enough to make me
> miss the series when I never saw a third. As a matter of fact, it took
> me a minute to remember I had read the books mentioned in Peter's
> question.
Thanks for your comments. In fact I reviewed the book for
Crimetime.....

"Frost Line" Justin Scott
Pkb. 5.99 ISDN 0006510043.

Bill Bryson was telling us something about small town America at the
start of "The Lost Continent" when he wrote "I come from Des Moines.
Somebody had to". Justin Scott, in placing his Ben Abbott P.I. series
in the fictional Newbury, is also telling us something about small
town America, it's just that I'm not sure what.

It's a sweet place, like Bedford Falls in "It's A Wonderful Life". Our
hero, for example, is introduced to us rescuing a cat up a tree. It's
friendly in that "I've known you for five generations" kind of way and
the town folk are, well, town folk. The place is something a patch
work quilt. It's no surprise that the somewhat conventional murder
mystery plot fits together in neat little pieces as well. Wrong doing
is delt with, order is restored, the good guys are good and the bad
guy's don't belong.

But even Bedford Falls contained a darker version of itself. Recently
I reviewed "Dead Letters" by Sean McGrady. He portrayed a depressed
small town America as a nightmare place where F.B.I. agents were
forever turning up looking for serial killers. Newbury failed to
convince. It is like a Hollywood image, representing an America that
never really existed

In fairness though, I must add that this is a series PI and I guess if
you are already hooked you'll love it. The writing is very good
although people tell me Scott has done better work. If you're not
moved to rush out and buy it on my say so then, just to be
neighbourly, I direct you to comments from Lawrence Block that this
"...is the best book in a series that started strong and keeps getting
better" and Jeffery Deaver about the "brilliant - sometimes humorous,
sometimes heart wrenching - insights into small town New England
life". No slouches Block and Deaver. Therefore, if you feel so
inclined, please take no notice of me whatsoever.

....so there you go. I wasn't too impressed either.....
Peter