RARA-AVIS: Ted Lewis

EJM Duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 23:34:54 -0800 On Sat, 05 Dec 1998, David Lane <dalane@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

> Thought it was time to re-read the Carter novel again following the
> interest on this maillist. So, went to the library to order it. The
> librarian looked at me, smiled and said "Not another one?" I have to join
> the queue to get it. Very popular it seems.

Perhaps there's a bunch of rara-avians round your way? ;-)
A quick way to get it though is to buy a copy from amazon.co.uk
I got mine that way; it only takes a couple of days--delivery by first
class post.

> Also asked about other Ted Lewis books.

The blurb inside the Alison & Busby re-issue of _Get Carter_ declares:

His first novel, _All the way home and all the night through_, was
published in 1965, followed by _Jack's return home_--filmed as _Get
Carter_ with M.C. --which created the noir school of British crime
writing and pushed him into the best seller list. He wrote seven
further noir thrillers; they are:
Plender
Billy Rags
Jack Carter's Law
The Rabbit
Boldt
Jack Carter and the Mafia pigeon
GBH

Paul Duncan wrote that Lewis worked on some Z-Cars scripts (see below),
but does anyone know if Lewis had anything to do with _The Sweeney_?
The name of his serial hero, Jack Carter, is shared between the two cops
in The Sweeney: DI JACK Regan and DS George CARTER.

There's a reprinted short 'Recollection' of Lewis by Derek Raymond in
Crime Time 12 (the last ish. in the old format), and a four-page article
by Paul Duncan in Crime Time 9.

> G.B.H.
> Jack Carter & the Mafia Pigeon
> Jack Carter's Law
>
> Does anybody know anything about these.

Derek Raymond comments favourably on _GBH_.
Paul Duncan describes them as 'prequels', Lewis's attempt to earn a bit
more on the back of sales of the hit novel _Jack's Return Home_.
'Law' was written in 1974, 'Pigeon' in 1973; the former Paul Duncan
describes as lacking tension, the latter as 'boring'.

ED