Re: RARA-AVIS: Readings

Robert E. Skinner (rskinner@mail.xula.edu)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:02:51 -0600 ANONYMEINC@webtv.net wrote:

> The Library of America Chandler doesn't have "The Pencil," either. Has
> this story been printed in any anthologies besides Midnight Raymond
> Chandler? Am I right in remembering that it was included in that
> collection of other people writing Marlowe sotries (which I never
> picked up)?>

Yes, you are right, and it was the fitting capstone to that
collection. I think the editor was Byron Preiss, who years ago (late
'70s, I think) was responsible for publishing a wonderful hard-boiled
graphic novel by Jim Steranko called, I think, RED TIDE. I don't know
how hard it may be to find after all these years, but it's so close to a
Chandler short story that you'd almost think Chandler did write it.

--
Robert E. Skinner, Director