Re: RARA-AVIS: Down There with David Goodis

Ziggy Nix (ziggy@wilmington.net)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 00:02:21 -0500 I just recently (last week) finished reading "Down There" for a class.
I had the same kind of reaction as Jay, but I had a strong reaction also
to the relationship between Eddie and Clarice. Course I also have a
weak spot for any line like this:
"As [Eddie and Clarice] had raised their glasses, she'd been looking
through her glass and through his glass, as though trying to tell him
something that could only be said through gin."
Eddie opens himself up after throwing himself through a self constructed
wringer. He rejects his former life and becomes the piano player, a
nameless man for whom everyone has an 'idea' of what he is like, but
no one can fathom him because he cannot open himself up for fear of
being hurt again. This explains the silence with which he faces the world.
But this silence is broken when Turley, his brother, comes in and says to
the Hugger, "You want it all for free, don't you? But the thing is, you
can't
get it for free. You wanna learn about a person, it costs you. And the more
you learn, the more it costs. Like digging a well, the deeper you go, the
more expenses you got. And sometimes it's a helluva lot more than you can
afford." Eddie begins opening up to people from this point on and the end
has Eddie re-entering society. He is a 'known' person now. But even more
amazing is that he now recognizes his ability to play piano again,
throughout
the novel when he is playing, he is just playing. Yet at the end he closes
his
eyes and compliments himself on his playing.
As for his relationship with Clarice, I found it amazing. There is some
bizarre attraction between them, it doesn't come close to the energy between

Eddie and Lena, but it seems more concrete ot true to his character. Course,

since his wife in a sense sold herself for Eddie to make it as a concert
pianist,
it seems natural that Clarice sells herself and pulls Eddie out of his
depression
and back into society. Just a few thoughts about the book, good stuff
though.
cheers,
Ziggy Nix