Re: RARA-AVIS: Farewell, My Lovely

Danny Paikov (
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:05:52 +0200 (IST) On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, James Rogers wrote:

> >This is a potentially stupid question.
> >A few days ago someone mentioned that Chandler did a very graceless parody
> >(?) of Hemingway in "Farewell, My Lovely". Now, I never read a word by
> >Hemingway, although I always meant to, but I did read Farewell. What
> >exactly was the Hemingway reference?
> As I recall, Marlowe refers to one of the corrupt cops as Hemingway.
> His partner asks what a Hemingway is. Marlowe says, "it's someone who keeps
> repeating the same thing over and over until you finally start to believe
> it's clever". Or words to that effect.

Bwah. I can't believe I missed it while actually reading the thing.
I guess now I have to start catching up on my Hemingway. At least it's not
as hard to find in these parts as practically any piece of noir fiction.
Oh, well.

No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity.
But I know none, and therefore am no beast.
                     -- Richard III

# # To unsubscribe, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # The web pages for the list are at