Re: RARA-AVIS: Prison Writers

Ron Clinton (r-and-jclinton@email.msn.com)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 10:07:40 -0700 I'll put in a strong vote for Edward Bunker's works as well. All four of
the mentioned works show an unflinching look at the prison system and/or the
people who inhabit it. These books are brutal, frank and absolutely
enthralling.

Ron Clinton

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sullivan <ANONYMEINC@webtv.net>
To: rara-avis@icomm.ca <rara-avis@icomm.ca>
Date: Sunday, October 18, 1998 9:42 AM
Subject: RARA-AVIS: Prison Writers

Edward Bunker did plenty of time. He has written the great No Beast So
Fierce (also printed under the movie tie-in title Straight Time, for
which he wrote the screenplay), Animal Factory, Little Boy Blue and Dog
Eat Dog. He has done some film work, Straight Time and co-writing
Runaway Train. Plus he has made cameo appearances in a couple of films,
including Reservoir Dogs as Mr. Brown.

There is also Nathan Heard who wrote Howard Street. Although it has
many of the same characters as the usual blaxploitation novel or film,
Howard Street is really something more. The best description I've seen
of it said it was what you would get if Hubert Selby Jr. were black and
wrote for Holloway House (publisher of Iceberg Slim and Donald Goines,
among others).

Speaking of which, I have been meaning to ask, do books like those of
Iceberg Slim, Goines and Jess Mowry qualify as hardboiled? Mowry, by
the way, wrote Way Past Cool about a gang of kids just trying to cope
with the reality of their inner city lives, trying to keep drugs off
their block, keep the entrance to their buildings clear so their moms
won't be hassled when coming home from working their second jobs, etc.
These kids can be pretty hardboiled in their actions (using a spray-can
flamethrower to discourage a junkie from ripping off a neighbor lady's
old TV), but can also just be kids, trying to get their spelling right
on their "what I did on my summer vacation" essay. The book can be
thrilling and heartbreaking, sometimes at the same moment.

Mark

#

#