Re: RARA-AVIS: Feminist Readings of Chandler

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:56:20 -0400 At 05:24 PM 10/17/98 -0400, Mario T. wrote:

>Joyce Carol Oates's appreciation of the hardboiled genre can be gauged
>from her statement in her review of Chandler:
>
>"What is badly needed for the edition is an introductory essay of some
>depth, an overview of the mystery-detective genre and an assessment of
>Chandler's seminal place in it, and, still more, a balanced assessment
>of Chandler's significance, if any, in American literature. Chandler's
>use of Hemingway (whom he rather gracelessly parodies in Farewell, My
>Lovely) might well be investigated. The phenomenon of Raymond Chandler
>raises an interesting question: Can one be a "major" figure in a "minor"
>field?--a "great" writer in a genre in which there is very little
>competition for "greatness". There has always seemed an element of
>special pleading in Chandler criticism, as if the flaws and infelicities
>in his novels were somehow not relevant.Is the canonization of Chandler
>by the Library of America a sentimental gesture, a quirky misstep?"

Maybe it's some kind of latent academic streak in me, but I have no
problem with this. Oates is a pretty good writer from the highbrow
mainstream and I think it is obvious that she has, over the years, taken
Chandler seriously enough to talk about him. I have disagreed with some of
her pronouncements, but that isn't too unusual. Since "we" are the ones
saying that Chandler has some elements of high literature in him, I think
the burden falls on us to demonstrate it. My dog-eared copies of Chandler's
books are testimony to the affection and respect that I feel for the guy,
but many of his stories are flawed and not just in terms of the Byzantine
plots. To my mind, Oates is guilty of not much more than a lack of
reverence. Suits me.
I suspect that Oates really does appreciate the ways in which
Chandler *was* an original.....the occassional flights into his particular
flavor of poetry, the weird nostalgia for a mythical LA past that may have
never existed except in the imagination of the author and his hero (another
aspect which Ellroy borrowed), and the dialogue (rarely equaled, never
surpassed).
Anyway, when Joyce Carol Oates does an retrospective on you I think
that you have pretty much arrived.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net