RARA-AVIS: fine vs. popular art

Roger Kurtz (rkurtz@compare.net)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:00:08 -0700 Fred,

I agree with you. I feel like the onset of the postmodern age is one of the primary causes
of this new blending of high and low art. Cinema and Warhol are the two main examples of
this new way of thinking. Film always walks the fine line between the purest of artistic
motives and the most base, money-grubbing attitude you've ever seen. Warhol walked a line
as well, between the maligned industrial design industry and the rarefied air of the NY
underground art scene.

Hard boiled fiction, while mostly falling in the modernist way of thinking, has always
interested me for the very reasons you mention. There's a clear lineage to be drawn here,
one that places hardboiled fiction as one of the forerunners of Postmodernism: Hardboiled
fiction influenced film noir, which in turn played a large role in spawning the postmodern
age. Chandler was an intellectual that wrote dime paperbacks chock full of "higher"
literary aspirations, and they sold like gangbusters. I enjoy finding the intellectual
bits in his work, and it is discouraging to encounter snooty attitudes when we suggest that
hardboiled fiction is worthy of study as a literary form. I suggested this in my American
Short Story seminar class in school (seemed like a perfect environment to me), and my
professor actually gave me the Oates review to read as a reason why we shouldn't study
Chandler for his style.

I'm sorry for blathering on. I'm just so happy that this list is active and involving, and
I'd like to contribute any way I can. Happy reading, everyone! By the way, I just picked
up The Pope of Greenwich Village at a used bookstore. Is it any good? Anything in
particular I should look for?

Roger