Re: RARA-AVIS: "Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep" (fwd)

wharker@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 13:41:28 -0700 Kimberly R Henry wrote:

> Why is it that even though both Marlowe and Sam are private
> investigators around the same time, they do not treat people the same > way? Marlowe treats people with respect and really does seem to care > what does happen to these people even after he has solved the case;
> whereas, Sam seems to be cold and does not care what happens to his
> clients after he has solved the case. It seems like Sam cares more
> about money Why is it that these two men are so different if they
> follow the same "code"?

Upon reading Kimberly Henry's post, I thought immediately of Perry
Mason's (almost) closing words in his first published case, The Case of
the Velvet Claws (1933). In this case, Gardner made Mason much more
hardboiled and less the legal demon/detecting attorney he was to become.

Mason's client, Eva Belter had lied to him, tossed him to the cops as a
murder suspect and after being released from jail wants to become
personally involved with Mason.

Eva Belter enters the office and finds Mason and Della Street kissing in
a tight clinch. Eva's upset and Mason says:

"Della, open the drawers in those filing cabinets...Pull open a couple
of drawers.

"Do you see those," to Eva Belter.

"All right," said Mason. "Those are cases. Every one of them is a
case, and all the other drawers are filled with cases just the same
way. They represent cases that I've handled. Most of them are murder
cases.

"When I get all done with your case you're going to have a jacket in
there, just about the same size as all of the other jackets, and it's
going to be of just about the same importance. Miss Street is going to
give you a number. Then if anything comes up, and I want to look back
at the case to find out what was done I'll give her that number, and
she'll get the jacket with the papers in it."

Eva Belter frowned...

Mason continues, "I'm just telling you where you stand in this office.
You're a case and nothing but a case. There are hundreds of cases in
that file, and there are going to be hundreds of other cases. You've
paid me some money already, and you're going to pay me five thousand
dollars more...."

Mason continues, "There's lots to be done yet...Those are some of the
things that have got to be done. I'm just telling you so you won't
think you can get along without me."

In his early career, this was part of Mason's code, just as it is part
of Spade's. The case is important, not the client per se. Clients are
interchangeable; cases are distinguishable.

Bill Harker
wharker@ix.netcom.com
#