Re: RARA-AVIS: Please advise on hardboiled movies

Dave (birdlives@earthlink.net)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:47:33 -0700 "Harper" isn't a bad view, it's got some good writing in it by Bill
Goldman. Very sixties.

"The Drowning Pool" I remember liking, but it's been a few years.

The Mitchum "Long Goodbye" is very "noir" in a classic visual way, even
though it's in color. Still, it has Mitchum, who even by then was a noir
icon. Not as good as "Murder My Sweet," but decent.

"The Glass Key" is one of those wartime Paramount borderline stiffs, with
Alan Ladd. I never could get too interested in it. It's more of a Brian
Donlevy movie, unless I'm mistaken.

Now, getting into the "Spiral Staircase." That's an excellent picture,
though it's more gothic than noir. There's some truly creepy stuff in it.
Robert Siodmak was the visual master of Noir.

"Phantom Lady" is another classic, just incredible, until the last third,
when they completely went off-base, ruining the picture.. It's too bad,
because it would be completely undeniable if it remained consistant. Short
of "DOA," it's got the best jazz sequence in Noir. Woolrich film adaptations
are always problematic. Some critics like "Black Angel," but I think it's
dull. "The Window" is very good, and of course, so is "Rear Window."
"Deadline At Dawn," and those other "race against time" pictures are pretty
dated, to my mind.

But as long as you're talking about Siodmak, there's the classic "The
Killers." And my personal fav, "Criss-Cross," not to be missed. (Another
Burt Lancaster masochistic melodrama.)

But one of my all time favorites is the awesome "Brute Force," with
Lancaster, directed by Jules Dassin. Has anybody else see these amazingly
powerful prison movie?

Dave

#