Re: RARA-AVIS: James Ellroy's opinion of Chandler

Dave (birdlives@earthlink.net)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:54:16 -0400 Jay -- I'm sure you'll have plenty of responses to this ... here's whatever
insight I have. A long time ago, when I was spending alot of time with
Ellroy, I asked him about what he thought was the best reference work for
describing L.A. in the forties. He answered, "The Long Goodbye. It's all in
there, you don't need anything else." Now, if you've read that book
recently, you know that there are not many descriptions of L.A. in it, per
say. It's more of an elegiac tribute, a depiction of Chander or Marlowe's
state of mind. It doesn't really say anything about the "real" (physical
topography, etc.) L.A. But it does have a tremendous amount of Chander's
evocative descriptions and prose.

Another time I asked the Dog about his first bood, "Brown's Requiem." "Too
Chander-esque" was his reply. And he's right -- it is. As a matter of fact,
almost ANY first person private eye book is Chander-esque! His influence is
so powerful, invariably, one starts writing like him -- with the same kind
of ironic detached description, the retorts, etc.. Not only that, most
fictional PI's end up BEING MARLOWE themselves -- few writers have been able
to escape that characterization. Elvis Cole, etc, so many of the
contemporary guys are just Marlowe in disguise.

They're also essentially sentimental and false, to my mind, all these PI's.
There's no real relation to reality, in terms of technique, or even the
crimes. It's amazing that Chandler's even viewed as hardboiled, because in
real life he was so namby-pamby. He knew next to nothing about cops and
crime. Let's face it -- if you've read "Long Goodbye," even the story is
mediocre -- and sentimental, to boot. What's good, of course is the writing.
And that was enough, at least for Chander. He often talked about the
difference between "writers" and "hacks," or whatever. Okay, the story in
"The Big Sleep" was good -- but Chander had to combine early short stories
just to get there. He re-used everything, because he had trouble coming up
with a decent story. Although, his language, tone and style are so
intoxicating -- he continues to inspire generations of crime writers -- even
the ones who haven't read him.

So, back to Ellroy. I think he made a conscious decision to break out of the
Chandler mode, in all ways -- so he created a psychotic cop named Lloyd
Hopkins, who was more insane and out of control than any criminal. This is
the key to Ellroy, his anti-heroes. Hopkins, of "Blood On The Moon" etc, is
Ellroy's version of the serial character readers always want -- of course,
he was much more than they bargained for. And as Ellroy wrote more, he wrote
larger books, and his voice evolved to such an extent that there's little of
Chander left in him. (which is more than can be said for 90 percent of the
"hardboiled" writers out there.) Except, of course, those annoying elements
of sentimentality, of which even Ellroy is not exempt.

But the real key to Ellroy's "dissing" Chander? His ambition. Ellroy wants
to be the greatest crime writer who ever lived. And if he's going to achieve
that, he must vanquish all the titans, Chandler first and foremost. Ellroy's
inflammatory statements are all part of his insatiable self-promotion. Don't
take them to heart. They must be taken with a grain of salt. Because even
Ellroy, though he's loathe to admit it, was once very much under Chandler's
spell, just like everybody else.

Sorry for rambling, but it's been fun ...

Dave