Re: RARA-AVIS: Rocks in his pocket and his pants on backwards...

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 02:23:08 GMT On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 14:03:02 -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:

>Mick/Jew/Guinea? Man, what a coool, with it, hardboiled guy you must
>be...we're all in awe...

Snap. Rewind. Replay. "Irish/Jewish/Italian" Better?

>And please don't start a boring thread about political correctness, or list
>all your Irish/Jewish/Italian friends...that's not the point...just grow
>up. You sound like a kid in grade two trying to sound tough in the
>schoolyard...

All Kevin is saying is that he likes (or doesn't mind or is willing to
endure) certain words in his fiction that he finds unacceptable, in some
sense, in the message I wrote, which is why he's objecting here, in an
informal setting in real life.

As an amateur student of language, I aks (not ask) myself, what accounts
for this schizophrenia?

After all, hardboiled writing has some of the strongest language one
will find anywhere.

(Admission: I'm reading a non-hardboiled book right now, "Flashman at
the Charge," that uses the word "nigger" to integral effect. "Nigger" is
not a word I would use with my black acquaintances [I have no black
friends, for which I shall surely be castigated] because I value my
cigarette-stained, gold-and-porcelain-capped teeth. I suppose, in all
honesty, I must admit I have used the N-word [see how this shit works
and I obey it] among certain white people. Hi, Mom!)

We would, in fact, feel cheated if the language of a hardboiled work
weren't as sharp-edged as it could be. But when discussing the same
literature, we put doilies and teacups out and accuse people of racism
or being seven-year-olds for violating some gnostic principle of
discourse. I naturally, it being my nature, snort at this. Really, I do.

Some people, probably most, would object to the word "shit" in, say, a
business meeting discussing ROI (Return on Investment) from IT
(Information Technology). They probably would *not* vocalize their
objections, from what I have observed, although they might inwardly
cringe. But Kevin did not object to the word "shit," which I suppose I
used (I usually do) in the message I wrote. Why would Kevin object to
"Mick/Jew/Guinea" and not "shit" or "fuck" or "cunt"? I must admit,
since I'm in an admitting mood, that I'm just as likely to cringe
hearing the word "shit" in a business meeting as I am to use it in the
same meeting. I'm curious if Kevin writes letters to editors or authors
if they use these same words. If not, why not? I'm curious what Kevin's
language standards are and why he holds them. Really, I am.

I'm sure there's a theory that explains all this somewhere, but I'll be
danged if I know what it is.

Now, I don't mind being upbraided -- if the criticism were intelligent
or not presented in some kind of cheese-dip "post a list of your ten
favorite private dick authors at my web-site" post-modern manner. And at
the risk of fulfilling Kevin's prophecy, as a Kraut-Mick, I don't mind
being called a Kraut-Mick. It has a certain pungency I find appealing.
And to all the Micks, Jews, and Guineas I offended, I apologize. I hope
your Mickness, Jewness, or Guineaness serves you well. Like that
well-known fictional Kraut-Mick, Tom Hagen, I just shake the hand of the
man who called me a Kraut-Mick and go about my business. Is it the Kraut
or the Mick in me that lets me do this? Or might I be the Kraut-Mick
that starts World War III and talks your leg off in the process?

At least Kevin didn't say I have rocks in my head.

But I do have a conscience, unlike our sociopathic president or Clown
Prince Chuckles, so I will henceforth refrain from "puffy shirt"