Re: RARA-AVIS: New York: Ideas?

fwillard@mindspring.com
Wed, 16 Sep 98 22:24:52 -0400 In <3600645e.696758@mailhost.networksplus.net>, on 09/17/98
at 01:58 AM, ned@networksplus.net (Ned Fleming) said:

>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:27:03 +0000, Peter Walker wrote:

>>Well I'm off soon. Any suggestions for the 'ultimate NY experience' ?

>Hire a convertible and spend a day cruising Harlem and the Bronx. Better
>yet, take the subway to 105th and Lexington and take a walking tour of
>the place. Wear a bowler, carry a cane, and talk with a
>we-sue-fraffly-soddy accent. This is mere supposition on my part, but
>I'll bet you go back to Old Blighty with a few choice stories if you do
>this.

You could also walk through Hell's Kitchen wearing black and tan.

The problem is that there probably isn't much of Hell's Kitchen left
anymore.

The Westies by T.J. English could be a good guidebook to the few remaining
sites. It also has a good history of the Irish mob in New York. Not crime
fiction to be sure, but the environment has spawned a lot of fiction.

I'm not sure if this true crime book was cited as the source for the film
"State of Grace." But the film was obviously dramatizing the facts as
reported in the book.

The book isn't fiction, but it's very interesting non-fiction in that it's
written in a voice that lapses into HB street speak in the exposition as
well as quotations.

Fred