Re: RARA-AVIS: New York: Ideas?

Ned Fleming (ned@networksplus.net)
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 01:58:23 GMT On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:27:03 +0000, Peter Walker wrote:

>Well I'm off soon. Any suggestions for the 'ultimate NY experience' ?

Hire a convertible and spend a day cruising Harlem and the Bronx. Better
yet, take the subway to 105th and Lexington and take a walking tour of
the place. Wear a bowler, carry a cane, and talk with a
we-sue-fraffly-soddy accent. This is mere supposition on my part, but
I'll bet you go back to Old Blighty with a few choice stories if you do
this.

>bookshops? Places to visit. I see Block isn't in town when I'm there
>- typical.

42nd street isn't what it used to be; it's almost family friendly. No
one tried to steal my wallet and the brass knucks didn't come into play.
I did my drinking at the Drake Hotel with the Swiss. Boring! I only saw
one bum sleeping on the sidewalk and one family of beggars in Manhattan
the whole time I was there. You may be in for a letdown.

--
Ned Fleming
#