Re: RARA-AVIS: Skinner

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:41:25 -0700 Roger Dowdy wrote:

> time. It looks like Skinner has a sequel, _Cat-Eyed Trouble_, to this
> first outing. Has anyone read it? Is it as good as his first? What do
> people know about Skinner?

Skinner is a personal friend of mine (at least I think so) and probably
one of the foremost authorities on Chester Himes (he [Skinn] wrote a
book about Himes) He is from New Orleans and is librarian at Xavier
University (originally an all-black university there). He got the
Picture of Wes Ferrell on the cover out of a batch of photos they were
cataloging and it simply had Wes Ferrell written on the back, nothing
else. He decided then that he wanted to write about Ferrell and hoped
that someone would see the name and write to him more about Ferrell. Of
course, Skinner is very accessable and if you want to e-mail him with
questions he will answer them promptly.

from Mari Hall found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net

#