Re: RARA-AVIS: Patrick McCabe

Peter Walker (pw@pw.cablenet.co.uk)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:19:33 +0000 Ziggy Nix wrote:
>i'm basically wondering if anyone on the list has read either
>"The Dead School" or "The Butcher Boy" by Patrick McCabe
>and whether it fits into the noir genre or is just a wisp of lunacy.
Read them. Loved them and was profoundly moved by the "Butcher Boy".
But, no, they do not fit in to the noir or hardboiled genre - wisp of
lunacy isn't to bad though. See your point in a way and I am reminded
of John Banville's "The Book of Evidence" in the sense that it is
also a book that the 'genre' (that word again) can claim. Freddie
Montgomery's 'mindless' murder and its consequences has its
similarities with, as you say...
> grisly insane narrators that get into the head about
>as badly as Deputy Lou Ford.
...but, just an ill thought out thought idea here: great literature
like McCabe and Banville doesn't translate into 'the genre' but often the
best of the genre is great literature. Case in point: "Brighton
Beach" by Graham Greene. Can we calim it as hardboiled? It
undoubtedly amongst the greats but few would recommend it as a
'recommended read'.
(Just read and re-read that opening paragraph. Something else.)

just wondering if any of ya'll have
read and liked it....
ciao,
ziggy nix