Re: RARA-AVIS: Lutz/Adams & Weeding

Ann Theis (atheis@i2020.net)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:27:12 -0400 Mario,
If it is any consolation I am the collection developement supervisor in
a public library system.
And, unfortunately, weeding in public libraries is sometimes done based
on readership. There are other factors that should be taken into
consideration along with circulation, but it all too often is a major
factor. I actively discourage weeding based on zero circ reports, but it
still happens. I can provide more information for those interested.
And, when you have limited space and a flow of new materials coming in,
something often has to give. And, there are some things that should be
weeded (out-dated medical information, older multiple copies of
bestsellers, etc).

We report circulation and turnover rate of new/old materials to our
budget department, as a measure of our performance.
I have to balance budget concerns, space concerns, a diverse readership,
quality, quantity, and when making selections.

I love my job, but it saddens me to see certain books languishing. That
is one reason why I spend time trying to promote books. I worry a
little about those authors who are dependent on the library market. Even
though 40% of our fiction circ is mystery/suspense, it doesn't seem like
there is a vast readership for some interesting authors - even in a very
well educated community like the one I serve.

Ann, still cranky and most likely quite incoherent
Overbooked http://freenet.vcu.edu/education/literature/bklink.html

#