Re: RARA-AVIS: Clancy Blah blah...

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Wed, 09 Sep 1998 05:48:49 -0400 At 09:22 PM 9/8/98 -0400, Mark Sullivan wrote:

>I agree that popularity, in and of itself, is not sufficient evidence of
>bad art (I've never been comfortable about an arttist's breakthrough
>book, album, whatever, being praised when it comes out only to be
>dismissed as a sell-out when it becomes popular), but are you actually
>saying that popularity, in and of itself, is sufficient evidence of good
>art? That the most popular book is, by definition, also the best book
>artisitcally?

Art is the right making of the thing ... what is the goal of any book? To
be read ... thus the more people who read it ... the more successful it is.
Now, is it a masterpiece? Maybe, maybe not ... popularity alone isn't
enough to mark any work as a masterpiece ... that is a piece of art which
goes on step further and reveals a bit of the universal truth. For a work
to become "the most popular book" it has to touch the soul of it's readers
.. and if anything, quality art touches the souls of those exposed to it.

>I also agree with the flip side, that lack of popularity does not
>necessarily mean an artist is too good or cutting edge or etc., to be
>understod by the masses. However, are you claiming that lack of
>popularity is sufficient evidence of bad art?

Alone? No, if the work is not readily available and thus isn't available to
the masses to make a decision on it then a lack of popularity most likely
reflects this lack of publicity not lack of quality or the failure of the
right making of the thing. Now ... works such as this tend to be found
eventually though (I'm sure there are those who fall through the cracks
...). The author of a non-fiction historical piece that I've read puts a
bit of perspective on this ... books that have survived the past in tact
... survived because their contemporaries didn't read them and thus didn't
wear them out ... however, the popular fiction of the day (he was
specifically speaking to the revolutionary period of American history) was
read until it fell apart ... no surprise there considering the lack of
television and radio.

>And what do you do with an author whose popularity waxes and wanes over
>time, say his art gets better and worse as time goes by? I like a lot
>of authors, some popular, some remaindered, but I would never rank them
>artistically based solely on their sales figures.

It might be art, but it doesn't have that universalness which makes it a
masterpiece. I never said anyone should rank anything solely on it's sales
figures, however, sales figures are a major factor in a work's artistic
success and cannot be ignored.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

I'm a cereal killer on the lam from Special K ... you?
#