RE: RARA-AVIS: Lists? Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!

Andy Hughes (AHughes@sbtinfo.com)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:09:43 -0500 Kevin Smith wrote:

>And I agree-books are getting way too long. . . . a lot of books seem
>to be written to fill a size, not sized to fit the story. If I want to read
>a good 200 page story, don't give it to me hidden in 450 pages.

Some words of agreement from Harlan Ellison, who's published more than
1,700 short stories in the last 40 years, including at least one Edgar
winner:

As for current trends in publishing, Ellison is equally critical, of
both the publishers and the audience.

"There is a diminishing constituency for books that require
cerebration," he says. "I get really impatient reading a novel that's 3,
4, 500 pages long and I see imbedded in it a short story screaming to
get out. This is not art, it's commerce. The market demands a novel."

On short stories:

"I tended toward the short story for no particular reason, except that
when I write - the short story has one purpose, and that is to
illuminate one blazing moment," Ellison says. "It's like grabbing the
soul of a person."

The short story "is a very narrow, thin blazing light," he says. "It
reveals everything by the clarity of what's pinned in that beam."

I quote because I can find no better way to phrase it myself.

Andy
#