Re: RARA-AVIS: Homophobia (Was: Val McDermid (was: British

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sun, 6 Sep 1998 20:14:05 -0500 (CDT) At 12:12 AM 9/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, 06 Sep 1998, Mari Hall <found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net> wrote:
>
>[SNIP]
>> I am a big fan of Val's. She is so accessable and nice when you meet her
>[SNIP]
>> psychologist. The Lindsey books about the reporter are lesbian mystery
>> fiction, but so well-written you won't care.
>
>You assumption that everyone else on the list is a homophobic, or
>better, won't want to read gay and/or lesbian fiction takes rather a lot
>for granted, not least heterosexism.
>
>ED

I dunno, I think maybe I understand where Mari Hall is coming from
on this (maybe not). I have no objection to books featuring gay characters
but it sometimes seems that books which bear the label "gay fiction" tend to
be like a long, boring political harangue. I mean. both _The Big Nowhere_
and _ SIlent Terror _ feature gay protagonists, but only a nut would ever
call them "gay fiction". The sexuality of the characters is treated as just
another story element.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net