Re: RARA-AVIS: Val McDermid (was: British writers)

Mari Hall (found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net)
Sun, 06 Sep 1998 10:28:45 -0700 MT wrote:

> To end with a question, I have heard much talk of Val McDermid and I'm
> tempted to try out one of her novels. Which one would raravians
> recommend?

I am a big fan of Val's. She is so accessable and nice when you meet her
in person, even if she were a boring, bad writer, you would want to read
her books, just to have "another nice visit" with her. But she is truly
one of my favorites who just doesn't publish often enough. Her Kate
Brannigan books are really PI novels of the best caliber; take place in
Manchester and she has a house (and boyfriend/house-mate) we (at least
me) would all like to have. Her two newest ones (Mermaids ?? and Blood
in the Wire) certainly put that Cornwall dame to shame for forensics and
psychological suspense. Mermaids Singing is about some gay seriel
murders in London several years ago and introduce her policeman and
psychologist. The Lindsey books about the reporter are lesbian mystery
fiction, but so well-written you won't care.

from Mari Hall found.dead.in.texas@airmail.net

#