Re: RARA-AVIS: Why books are over 200 pages

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 10:51:32 -0400 At 10:05 AM 9/5/98 -0400, RMINOT@aol.com wrote:

>Writing longer is media slang for filling up more pages with words. An
ediotr
>will often assign a mag piece and say, "I want 1,000 words by Friday," then
>tell the writer Friday morning, "Can you write longer? We lost an ad page,"
>Or "Can you write shorter? We got a last-minute ad and need to cut
>editorial." Same deal iin books except they never ask you to "write
shorter."
>We now live in a winner-loser-driven world (sadly) where a genre writer who
>has any success at all is required (like P>D> James) to write long and
>preferably only once a year to create a "buzz" (ugh!!) to jack up the price
>of the hardcover and also to indulge the ubiquitous corporate mentality that
>equates BIG with WINNER and small with loser. So you get these dictionary-
>sized tomes from Ludlum et al so the CEO (or CEO wannabe) can heft it out of
>his/her briefcase and feel IMPORTANT. Gone are the days of the short story,
>the taut, well plotted genre books that enabled the writer to eke out a
>respectable albeit meagre living on small but frequent and steady advances.
>More on this later, I need coffee.

Thanks for the clarification, but with the exception of when it affects the
quality of the work (which I am very well aware of that it does at times)
as a reader I do not see this as a problem. If I like an author, I want
more more more ... not less less less. As a CEO wannabe I have as of yet
to see anyone in the company (Litton PRC Inc.) tote around any of these or
in my client's spaces (Space, Information Warfare, Command and Control
Branch of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Pentagon). I
regularly carry a paperback of the approximate dimensions (in inches): 0.68
x 7.98 x 5.21 (the standard Vintage Crime/Black Lizard version) to read on
my commute to the Puzzle Palace. I keep my huge tomes at home where I can
rest them on the bed mattress as I read them. As far as price goes ...
well, let's compare two recent releases (I choose these authors based on
the fact that I like each equally):

"Rainbow Six" Tom Clancy. $27.95 retail US, Amazon.com $19.57, Crown
$16.77 (what I paid for it).

"The Sweet Forever" George P. Pelecanos. $23.95 retail US, Amazon.com
$16.77, Dalton Bookseller $21.56 (what I paid).

RS is 740 pages while TSF is 298 ... based on the cheapest price, that's
$.02 per page for RS and $.06 per page for TSF.

Relatively speaking, considering that I enjoy both authors equally ... I
lost on the shorter book and gained on the bigger book (which in my opinion
I did anyway by having less of what I like when compared to the other to
begin with) ... thus the bigger book is a win win and the smaller is the
win lose ... the publisher used less materials to published the smaller
book than those which went into the publication of the larger work.

As far as the death of the short story goes ... I don't see that happening
... a magazine (unless solely dedicated to the story) will never house
anything larger than a short story and they still do: Atlantic Monthly,
Harper's, The New Yorker, etc. There are still periodicals dedicated to
short fiction too; Story, etc. Now from a book context, I don't recall in
the past very many short stories receiving a cover and publications as a
solitary work, but instead appear in the market place as anthologies ... I
do have some recent works which are on the thin side in a singular format:
"Woman in the Dark" Dashiell Hammett, "After Dark, My Sweet" Jim Thompson,
"Pick-Up" Charles Willeford, "The 39 Steps" John Buchan, and "The Man Who
Was Thursday" G. K. Chesterton. Mysteries are especially well presented in
short format with yearly award categories keeping the form very much alive.
But in the end ... I'd rather pick up a tome of short stories vice one
little thin book ... just think of the bigger book as a form of exercise
... ;)

-----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"... if you should become an artist, ignore the critics.
Some precious few critics have an artist in them, but most
are a desperate, shriveled lot who have found a way to
touch art without making it. The half-nuts architect Roark
in Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is confronted by the critic
who tried to destroy him. 'Why don't you tell me what you
think of me,' says the critic. To which Roark responds,
'I don't think of you.'" Roger Rosenblatt

#