Re: RARA-AVIS: Why books are over 200 pages

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 08:21:49 -0400 At 02:00 PM 9/4/98 -0400, RMINOT@aol.com wrote:

>I can't say that I'm more knowledgeable about hardboiled fiction, but I do
>know that writers are forced by their editors and publishers to write longer
>for marketing reasons, and in order for the writer to get a bigger advance.
>It's a drag and it's a contributing factor to the general weight gain of the
>genre. I'll try to get better info on this from publisher friends.

Reading this I'm interpreting "write longer" as writing more ... as in a
350 page book vice a 200 page book. Now while this can be a "bad" thing if
the writer sucks ... surely you do not want less from your favorite author
as long as they write it to the same level of quality which the previous
200 pages had ... which any author truly worth their weight in words can
and does?

If "longer" equates to more books ... I don't see the problem there either
... assuming once more the favorite author who "writes longer" creates more
works to read ... who wouldn't want to have more works of their favorite
authors to choose from?

Basically, I don't think I'm getting your point.

----
regards,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
#