Re: RARA-AVIS: No lists, no disrespect

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 08:16:15 -0400 At 01:50 PM 9/4/98 -0400, RMINOT@aol.com wrote:

>I certainly meant no disrespect to subscribers of rara-avis by saying I don't
>like lists. Sure I find it interesting to read what the highly well-read
>subscribers prize, even when presented as a list. Someone suggested it's a
>girl thing--not liking lists. That's very perceptive. And I guess it's a
guy
>thing to take a girl not liking lists as a personal affront. So, please,
list
>away. But confining the list to top 2 is a bit much. It's like Siskel and
>Ebert with their BIG thumbs up.

A girl thing? ROFL ... I missed that one. I guess our reader just isn't
aware of that one great and widely "girl" created list called the shopping
list exists ... just kidding. I find nothing wrong with lists when say ...
we post our lists of favorite books or Harold Bloom publishes a book about
great books or some other learned figure does so. It's expected. What's
wrong with or let's downgrade that to distasteful about the Top 100 list of
recent debate is that it's dedicated to one publishing houses books and was
created to promote them ... now, there's why I get rid of wrong ... it's
their job to promote them and there's nothing really immoral about anyone
publishing a list of works for whatever reason. It's just not always
kosher or easy to swallow.

-----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"... if you should become an artist, ignore the critics.
Some precious few critics have an artist in them, but most
are a desperate, shriveled lot who have found a way to
touch art without making it. The half-nuts architect Roark
in Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead is confronted by the critic
who tried to destroy him. 'Why don't you tell me what you
think of me,' says the critic. To which Roark responds,
'I don't think of you.'" Roger Rosenblatt

#