Re: RARA-AVIS: What I'm reading...and why.

William Holmes (kenoman@bigfoot.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 19:02:52 -0700 Date sent: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:34:12 -0400
From: James Fellrath <jfellrath@worldnet.att.net>
To: rara-avis@icomm.ca
Subject: RARA-AVIS: What I'm reading...and why.
Send reply to: rara-avis@icomm.ca

> I'm reading Chandler's _The Big Sleep_. I realize most of you are long time
> fans, but I'm rather new to Hard-boiled fiction. You may laugh at how I got
> into it, but I'd like to share the story because I think it shows how the
> Hard-boiled genre affects other genres. I just subscribed to this list
> recently and I think it's an interesting story.
>
> A few years ago, I was an active comic book collector, and one of my
> favorite titles was the now-defunct _Firearm_, written by James Robinson
> (currently writer of DC Comics' _Starman_ series). Robinson is an
> extraordinary writer, bringing wonderful characterization in places you
> might not normally see it.
>
> Firearm was a comic about a PI in Pasadena, CA. He has the typical "super
> secret agent" background. He's a former British Special Boat Service member
> and also was in a fictional British spy agency called the Lodge. However,
> what led him to be a PI was his love for Chandler, Hammett, etc. He's a
> voracious reader, and Robinson obviously has a love for the hard-boiled
> genre as well...he quotes the books regularly and Firearm often waxes
> nostalgic about how the Los Angeles of Chandler is not the Los Angeles he
> knows. But he still catches little glimpses of it here and there.

I'm a big Chandler fan....some years ago after reading my first
Chandler, (I believe it was the Long Goodbye) I read everything of
his I could get my hands on. To this day I think he is the best at
descriptive writing of anyone I have ever read.
I grew up in Pasadena. Do these stories feature areas of
Pasadena the same way that Chandler used locales of LA and So
Cal?

Sincerely,

Bill Holmes
Give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot,
and a great big bag of money.
#