RARA-AVIS: Raymond Chandler and American Culture (9/15; NEMLA) (fwd)

michael david sharp (msharp@umich.edu)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:19:01 -0400 (EDT) Hey all,

Just a reminder that we'll be accepting proposals for the panel on
Chandler at next year's Northeast MLA for another couple of weeks.
Information below. We've recieved some cool-sounding proposals, but
would love to have a few more to choose from. Sorry to repost, but
sometimes people need to be reminded. Thanks, Michael

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: michael david sharp <msharp@umich.edu>
To: cfp@english.upenn.edu
Subject: CFP: Raymond Chandler and American Culture (9/15; NEMLA)

Call for Papers
Northeast Modern Language Association
Pittsburgh, PA
April 16-17, 1999

*(Re-)Visions of Chandler*

Our image of the hardboiled detective owes a radical debt to Raymond
Chandler. Chandler's signature style--that odd and unpredictable amalgam
of cynicism, lyricism, and streetwise intelligence--has profoundly shaped
our culture in many ways, some immediately recognizable, others more
subtle. Especially influential has been his Philip Marlowe, the
quintessential American hero: a rugged individualist with a bent for
chivalry, a misanthrope with a conscience. This panel explores the
impact of Chandler's work not only on our idea of crime fiction but also
on American culture more broadly. In short, it considers the cultural
production of the Chandleresque.

Papers may address any way that Chandler's work has been received,
revised, and reproduced in America--in such relevant media as art, music,
advertising, TV, video/board games, and, of course, writing. Participants
might explore not only how others have revised Chandler, but also
how Chandler himself drew upon and revised the Chandleresque. Ultimately,
we hope, the panel will help to adumbrate the complex and often vexed
relationship between literature and popular culture--and contribute to a
new, reception-oriented understanding of Chandler's importance as an
American author.

Organizers: Michael D. Sharp and Miranda B. Hickman (University of
Michigan)

DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 15. Please send 1-2 pp. abstracts or completed papers
(for 15-20 min. delivery) to

Michael D. Sharp
NEMLA/Raymond Chandler
Dept. of English Lang. and Lit.