Re: The list's name (was RE: RARA-AVIS: List of hard-boiled

Carlos André Ťoreira (carlozandre@hotmail.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:24:39 PDT >
>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, ImTigger wrote:
>
>: On another note, I'll show my ignorance, what does RARA-AVIS mean?
>
>It's Latin for "rare bird," and it's what Caspar Gutman calls the
>Maltese falcon. (It's also used in the Latin saying, "Amicus verus
>est rara avis," or "A true friend is a rare bird".) Eddie Duggan
>explains more at:
>I'll add this to the welcoming message.
>
>Bill
>--

Truly, the expression was wrote in the first time by JUVENAL, a latin
author who compares the wife of Odisseus, Penelope, to "RARA AVIS IN
TERRIS" (A rare bird in Earth). The sentence is in Sathiras, VI, 165,
and became a form to define all that is extraordinary