Re: RARA-AVIS: Broadly speaking

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:59:24 -0700 On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, RMINOT@aol.com wrote:

> If we define "hardboiled" as a private eye; then we don't have
> any females who fit that description.

???

How about:

Sharon McCone?
V. I. Warshawski?
Cordelia Grey?
Anna Lee?
Kinsey Milhone?
Kate Brannigan?
Hannah Wolfe?

Just to start with, as private investigators of the female persuasion.
Their hardboiledness, or not, is something to be discussed.

> In fact, we're running out of men, too,
> unless you count historical fiction,

We needn't restrict ourselves to contemporary fiction (ie late 1990s).

> So then we have to include members of the
> police force and there are plenty of women characters who fit that category:

I think this is where we begin to diverge.
We don't 'have to include' the police at all; in fact I would suggest
that there is an antagonism between the detective and the police officer
which is almost de rigeur, from Dupin and Holmes through The Op, Spade,
and Marlow to, say, VI who, even though her father was a cop, still
maintains some tension between herself and the police, and I'm sure
there other rara-avians who can cite further examples.

> Now the "noir" aspect of all this is broader:

I'm not convinced that 'noir' and 'hardboiled' are synonymous.
Last time this was discussed there was no watertight definition of
either, but I think it's fair to say most rara-avians would see these
two categories as distinct from each other, although there can be, and
often is, considerable overlap between the two.

> no one knows for sure, unless I'm missing something the exact derivation--could
> be the French movie critic's term "film noir" referring to American "tough,
> real-life" thriller mysteries as opposed to twee English puzzle-solving
> mysteries; but "film noir" may have derived from the Black Mask pulp magazine
> that published Chandler et al, at a time when private dicks were willing to
> break some rules to get to the truth. Or maybe the term comes from "serie
> noire" the French string of pulp stories very similar to Black Mask.

When French publisher Gallimard launched the Serie Noir imprint in 1945,
American 'pulp' and hardboiled authors were reprinted in French, along
with European crime writing. American films became available in France
after the end of WWII. In 1946 film critic Nino Frank coined the term
'films noirs' to describe what he saw as a new mood in American cinema,
which was obviously drawing on the same mood as the American texts in
the Serie Noir.

> Maybe we
> should just say that we discuss any fictional crime novel which is suspenseful
> and fairly tough-minded, in which the protagonist can be a criminal or not,
> female or male, sane or insane, that has that wonderful noirish je ne sais
> quoi. In this sense I'd vote for including Thomas Harris and Caroll O'Connell
> and Ruth Rendell.

Maybe and maybe, yes, yes, yes, and oh yes. But no, don't know and no.

In talking about hardboiled fiction, there is a particular world view
that is, AFAIA, simply absent from Harris and Rendell (dunno about CO'C)
which, to take one aspect, is the ambivalence about corrpution: on the
one hand there is a dislike for the corruption that permeates social
institutions: the police, judiciary, government, etc., while on the
other (and here's the ambivalence) the protagonist also appears corrupt,
or has an m.o. similar to what we might call a crook.

<aside>
Bill, is it possible to begin to compile an FAQ?
</aside>

ED