Re: RARA-AVIS: Preaching

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 09:51:46 -0500 Mark Sullivan wrote:
>Kevin Smith said a sorta homophobic friend of his found Joseph Hansen's
>Brandstetter books too preachy. To preachy? I agree with Kevin that
>they are not. I always found it striking how few of the
>gay-in-the-sexuality-sense characters in his books were
>gay-in-the-happy-sense. I read them some time ago (liked them very much
>even though they all seemed to have the too-similar structure of all of
>the suspects passing through the murder scene, some before, some after,
>one at the time of, with Dave sorting it out; also found it amusing that
>his investigations never saved the insurance companies a dime and
>sometimes cost them more), but most of the characters are pretty
>miserable trying to hide their sexuality and, if I remember correctly,
>the crime usually hinged on someone protecting his non-gay front.
>Which, now that I think of it, a homophobe might take as a preachy
>message that if they were all out of the closet, no murder would have
>been committed, but I didn't. I also found it odd that, at least, the
>first few books prominently mentioned Hansen having a wife in the
>author's bio.

Hmmm...I too read them a while ago, but I didn't find them all particularly
gay-oriented, beyond the fact that Dave Brandstetter was gay, as were some
of his friends. And some were certainly unhappy, but not necessarily
because of their lifestyle, and there were more than a few miserable
straights, as well. Then again, most hardboiled novels aren't exactly
chock-block full of shiny happy people anyway, and by almost any
definition, these are hardboiled novels, and very, very good ones, at that.

Tthe books ranged far and wide in subject matter. Brandstetter tackled
(besides the usual murders of both gays and straights) police corruption,
pornographers, Central America revolutionaries, neo-Nazis and, in one of my
favorites, illegal dumping of toxic waste (honest! it was great!). In fact,
the Brandstetter books are one of the best series of the last few decades,
featuring some of the tersest, tough prose this side of Hammett. There's a
welcome sort of cool detachment in the narration, a kind of cold emotional
flatness that very few private eye writers use now; most of them seem to
want to imitate Chandler by way of Ross Macdonald, and go overboard on the
wisecracks or overworked "look at me! I'm writing!" descriptions.

I imagine more folks would've read this series if Dave had been straight.
Too bad. As far as I know, Hansen is still writing (although the
Brandstetter series is definitely wrapped up). There's a story in a recent
Alfred Hitchcock, featuring another series character, Hack Bohannon, a
retired Sherriff who lives on a ranch in California. Not as good as the
Brandstetters, but still pretty entertaining. I've read a few interviews
and stuff about/with Hansen, and I'm not sure if he is gay or not, although
The American Private Eye (David Geherin, 1985) mentions a wife and
daughter. He's certainly sympathetic towards homosexuals, though. In the
long run, though, does it matter whether he's gay or not?

And speaking of another person who frequently writes about gays (taking a
slightly different stance), I notice our boy Ellroy has some new fiction in
the latest GQ. Has anyone read it, or know anything about it?

Kevin Smith
It's summertime, and the living is cheesy...What are you reading this summer?
Tell us in this month's P.I. Poll on The Thrilling Detective Web Site
http://www.colba.net/~kvnsmith/thrillingdetective/

Now with fresh fiction monthly....

#