RARA-AVIS: Broadly speaking, not a troll (was: Haywood's _It's Not A Pretty Sight_)

ejm duggan (ejmd@mcmail.com)
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:55:50 -0700 On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, RMINOT@aol.com wrote:

[SNIP]

If
> we can accept a broader definition of hard-boiled as simply hard-headed (as in
> the OED) then we could include anything obsessional, especially serial-killer
> fiction and lots of Ruth Rendell.

We've been through this. While we can't construct a water-tight
definition of hardboiled (or noir, come to that) we have, I think
excluded the slasher novel--unless written by Ellroy ;->

> As a woman, I'd like to be able to discuss
> the genre in the broad (pardon pun) sense.

As an earthling, what has your gender--in the broad sense--got to do
with genre?

ED