Re: RARA-AVIS: fifths

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:16:15 +0800 (SGT) >actually most of the bottles of liquor i own are already in liters.
>a fifth is 750 mL so a fifth is .75 L. the ounce part is a bit more
>difficult, but a fifth is a 1/5 of a gallon, anyway a fifth has (enjoy
>the decimals hahahahaha) 25.36354413257 ounces.
>ziggy nix
>
>William Denton wrote:
>
>> Also, on the alcohol topic, Americans in books always seem to be
>> picking up fifths of liquor. Just how many ounces is this? Bonus
>> marks for converting to litres, because there are all those different
>> kinds of ounces.

Do not forget you have also those different kind of gallons!
Ziggy's conclusion for the 75 cl bottles is correct, when compared to the US
gal, which= 3.7854 liter
So, one fifth= 0.75708 liter
This fits American books.
I leave to him his conversion to ounces...

I f Bill compared volumes in Canada , maybe he has to translate it to
Imperial gallons... unless Canada is already so well americanized that Imp
gal is something of the past?
1 Imp gal= 4.546 liter
So, on this scale, the American 1/5th will only be: 1/6 th...Imp gal

I'm not sure this will help, but it will underline the potential dangers to
order 1/5th across the Northern border. And to drink it all...

E.Borgers

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

#