Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Zero Effect.. and HB satirical films

Etienne Borgers (etienne@singnet.com.sg)
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 23:56:23 +0800 (SGT) > Reed Andrus wrote:
>>Run, do not walk, to your nearest video store. Rent THE ZERO EFFECT,
>>then settle back and watch a 90s PI who understands the value of the
>>computer. And while you're at it, tell me who Darryl Zero really is.
>

>Daryl Zero, of course, is really Sherlock Holmes. The Zero Effect is a
>great movie, one of the funniest crime films in a long while. It's liter=
ate
>and witty, and gosh, just everyone should go see it. It's not really
>hardboiled, but anyone who ever enjoyed reading any Sherlock Holmes
>stories will definitely be hearing echoes
[snip]
>Kevin Smith

Speaking of good little films applying humor and/or satire to the HB/Noi=
world, there was one deserving a better attention that what it received
when distributed in 1994: Clean Slate.
It is probably not in the same vein as Zero Effect (that I didn't see) bu=
it carries a wild taste of satire of all the clich=E9s of the genre, with=
out
destroying it. It's not a great film that renovated the HB PI genre, neit=
her
a great piece of film direction... but IMO it has its merits.
Imagine a PI struck by amnesia, obliged to investigate a crime case he
forgot and in which he is a key whiteness... and not even remembering who=
he
is himself. Everything narrated with exaggerated traits and humor.
It is not meant for big laughs, but it has its moments, and I think it wi=
ll
be even more funny for the HB/Noir aficionados, as they will be more at e=
ase
to detect the allusions and clich=E9s than the average viewer.

Watch carefully the story... as you will discover it only at the same tim=
as the memoryless PI do.
The script is a technical gem *by its construction*, juggling with logic,
time and continuity. Dana Carvey playing the PI is the loony needed for
this role.
And watch the small dog, the incredible eye-patched Baby (played by Barkl=
ey)...
A good satirical comedy, even if not a top one.
Directed by : Mick Jackson
Written by: Robert King

E.Borgers

Hard-Boiled Mysteries