RE: RARA-AVIS: Chemical Dependence and Hard-Boiledness

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:50:28 -0400 At 09:58 PM 8/15/98 , James Rogers wrote:

>At 05:24 PM 8/15/98 -0400, Mark wrote:

>>Many PIs in the last decade or two have started to use drugs (or at
>>least finally admit to inhaling). Off the top of my head I can think of
>>Crumley's heroes, G.M. Ford's wonderful Leo Waterman, Dan Cormany's Dan
>>Kruger, who shares a joint with a young runaway he was hired to find,
>>and Pelecanos's Nick Stefanos. Almost without exception, though, the
>>drugs are used with alcohol, so it still reads much the same, while
>>adding a contemporary hip signifier to say This isn't your Dad's private
>>eye.

> Not sure that it is really that new, though, considering the
>laudenaum scene with the Op in RED HARVEST.

Or the seven percent solution coursing through the quintessential private
eye ... Sherlock Holmes.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"I am an innocent man / Oh yes I am / An innocent man"

- Billy Joel
#