RE: RARA-AVIS: that which does not kill me, leaves a nasty hangover

David A. Harvey (david@reportersink.com)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 16:13:59 -0400 >It's interesting that it is always booze, never any drugs.
Oops. mea culpa.

But, doesn't booze signify something very different from drugs? In the case
of Block, too, the fact that Scudder is a recovering alcoholic plays the
same role as if he were drinking. It brings the element that booze signifys
back into the text. And, if you've read the series, you've read him
drinking, so that alcoholism is cojoined with recovery and that feel that
booze brings to these stories is very much present.

I think it's an interesting endeavor, trying to tease out the meaning of
booze, decyphering how it works in these stories, tracing the chain of
signification.
I guess I've read, come to think of it, some hardboiled fiction where
there's drug use, but it never did the same thing as drinking. Alcohol does
something very different to the text.

______________________________

David A. Harvey

Freelance Columnist, Reviewer, Journalist&Editor
Exploring the meeting points of humanity&technology

1 Druim Moir Court 215/248-7469
Philadelphia, PA 917/767-6567 (cell/page)
19118

"Most people are awaiting Virtual Reality; I'm awaiting virtuous
reality."
--Eli Khamarov , Lives of the Cognoscenti

#