Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Zero Effect

Reed Andrus (randrus@home.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:37:43 -0700 Kevin Smith wrote:

> >Run, do not walk, to your nearest video store. Rent THE ZERO EFFECT,
> >then settle back and watch a 90s PI who understands the value of the
> >computer. And while you're at it, tell me who Darryl Zero really is.
>
> Daryl Zero, of course, is really Sherlock Holmes. The Zero Effect is a
> great movie, one of the funniest crime films in a long while. It's literate
> and witty, and gosh, just everyone should go see it. It's not really
> hardboiled, but anyone who ever enjoyed reading any Sherlock Holmes stories
> will definitely be hearing echoes. Daryle Zero (Bill Pullman) is the
> "world's most private eye," amateurish musician and drug addict (sound
> familiar) and Ben Stiller is his frontman, Steve Arlo. Steve meets the
> clients, does the legwork, narrates the film, and generally acts as a sort
> of nineties' Watson. Really fun. And it was written by the twentyish son of
> Lawrence Kasdan (Body Heat, Big Chill, etc.).
>
> And, um, that's who Daryl Zero really is. Do I win anything, Reed?

> Kevin Smith

Nicely done. I'm working on the prize, but don't hold your breath quite
yet. I wonder if the viewing came as such a wondrous shock to me only
because I had seen no advance promos or reviews. Did the early material
call out the Holmes connection? I only remember it being touted as an
"offbeat detective thriller."

Anyway, we're in accord. What a great picture!

... Reed
#