RE: RARA-AVIS: realism and reality

David A. Harvey (david@reportersink.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:17:33 -0400 Exactly! And if you listen to cops in the real world, they're so much more
likely to say, "let's go and search his flat." The point is our expectations
of reality--and how those expectations are tied not to a search for truth,
but a search for entertainment. Take ER which is supposed to be incredibly
real and accurate. There's all this ballyhoo about how they have all these
consulting doctors and all that jazz. I have yet to meet a doctor who says
that ER is real. Not only is everything accelerated--most time in the ER
according to my sources, is spent waiting around--but the actual scenarios
involving doctor heroics never happen.

The truth of "reality" in fiction will always be about creating a world with
a set of images, symbols, and icons that inform us that we are in "reality."
These representational figures are alway winking though, we know we are not
really in reality, but we suspend our disbelief nonetheless.

David

David A. Harvey

Freelance Columnist, Reviewer, Journalist&Editor
Exploring the meeting points of humanity&technology

1 Druim Moir Court 215/248-7469
Philadelphia, PA 917/767-6567 (cell/page)
19118

"Most people are awaiting Virtual Reality; I'm awaiting virtuous
reality."
--Eli Khamarov , Lives of the Cognoscenti