RE: RARA-AVIS: Realism and Reality

David A. Harvey (david@reportersink.com)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 02:21:29 -0400 You know that even the most procedural of police or any other dramas, when
you get down to it, simply aren't that representational. If you truly want
representational, go to amazon.com and pick up a text book on police work;
conversely, go spend a day down at your local precinct. Nothing happens as
fast or as cleverly in the real world as it does in fiction. Events are
foreshortened to fit the length of the story, facts are presented by design
rather than cropping up as a result of hard work.

Further, don't forget the intertextuality of representations of the police.
We all have a huge river of memories of cop shows, police books along with
the marketing forces that blurb to us which ones are supposedly the most
realistic. All of that plays out when we read a detective story. We can't
help but compare against the other things we've read; authors can't help by
pay homage to them.

I'd be really curious to hear from the law-enforcement types here on this
list if they've ever read anything that truly recreates with complete
accuracy the day to day existence of an officer of the law. My guess is that
some authors come close to representing the general "look and feel," but
that none get it completely right--there's always going to be sacrifices to
reality made for the sake of dramaturgy, etc.

Realism isn't reportage, at any rate. Realism simply pretends to have an
accurate mimetic; but it never is real--it's simply filtered through the
mind of the author to "seem real." If the author can sell you on his
concept of "real" then he's doing a great job.

david

______________________________

David A. Harvey

Freelance Columnist, Reviewer, Journalist&Editor
Exploring the meeting points of humanity&technology

1 Druim Moir Court 215/248-7469
Philadelphia, PA 917/767-6567 (cell/page)
19118

"Most people are awaiting Virtual Reality; I'm awaiting virtuous
reality."
--Eli Khamarov , Lives of the Cognoscenti

#