RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V2 #406

Lawrence R. (goldensam@sprintmail.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:19:47 -0400 Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 20:47:50 -0400
From: Words from the Monastery <jackechs@erols.com>
Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: The English Language

At 08:14 PM 8/9/98 , Lawrence R. (Dick) Tartow, M.D. wrote:

>It would be gratifying if people who engage in discussions about
>literature in English of whatever genre would use the English language
>with a decent minimum of skill.

Ooo ... I never knew anal retentive grammarians stooped to mysteries ...

learn something every day ... oh and before you get your panties in a
wad
... that's "anal retentive" in the common use not the definitive. Thank

you for your time.

IF THEY GAVE A NOBEL PRIZE FOR AD HOMINUM ARGUMENTS OUR RESIDENT MORAL
AND CULTURAL ARBITER WOULD WIN ONE THREE YEARS IN A ROM. DEO VOLANTE.
Actually ... it'd be gratifying if some would remember that language is
nothing more than a tool of communication and that while it may not have

been grammatically correct the majority of the speakers of any lingo are

intelligent enough to understand what was meant. IT WOULD BE EVEN MORE
GRATIFYING IF THERE EXISTED A MYSTERY LIST THAT WAS ABOUT MYSTERIES AND
NOT DRIVEL AND PERSONAL PREJUDICES. THIS LIST, HAVING CLEARLY GONE THE
WAY OF THE DOROTHY L LIST, IS NOW NO LONGER WORTH SUBSCRIBING TO.
RATHER THEN DISCUSSING LITERATURE, IN THIS CASE THE MYSTERY GENRE, IT
HAS DESCENDED INTO POST MODERN DECONSTRUCTIONALISM AND OTHER ARCANE
DRIVEL THAT OCCUPIES EVERY LIVING MOMENT OF THOSE WHO A) HAVE NOTHING
BETTER TO DO WITH THEIR MINDS, SUCH AS THEY ARE, AND WHO READ FOR SOME
ARCANE REASON OBIVIOUSLY UNRELATED TO PLEASURE. AND WHOSE SENSES OF
HUMOR WERE THE FIRST VICTIM OF THE CONDITION THAT DESTROYED THEIR
RATIONALITY.

BYE BYE BIRDIE
Besides ... if grammar
was all it was knocked up to be Shakespeare wouldn't be one of the
greatest
English writers of all time ... I mean really, how could he possibly be
so
when grammar didn't exist at the time?

Just to remain on topic for shit's-n-giggles ... I find Hamlet to be the

epitome of the hard-boiled character ... "to be or not to be ... that is

the question."

- ----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

--
Dick Tartow
---who will continue to enjoy reading, and will manage at least another