RARA-AVIS: And who is that little broad?

Kevin Smith (kvnsmith@colba.net)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 01:05:45 -0500 JimDoherty wrote:
> It seems, from recent posts, that a lot of you have the idea that
> "hard-boiled" is an exclusively male province. Maybe my definition of
> hard-boiled is a little broad...

Hey, I think they like to be called women now....

>Nor is including them within the category somehow failing to recognize
>their femininity. The fact that a character is tough and colloquial
>doesn't mean that their individual approach to investigation won't be
>different from any other tough, colloquial character. One of the things
>that would naturally contribute to individual differences would certainly
>be gender. This is no less true for *writers* of tough, colloquial crime
>fiction. - Jim Doherty

Actually, Jim, I couldn't agree with you more...it's amazing how many
people are ready to dismiss a book because of the gender of the author.
Some people are just dumb...

And, Takhoman, television is as relevant to this list as film or comic
books or anything else that's related to hardboiled fiction. I forget the
exact words, but it's in the mission statement for this list.

Next week's topics:

Why books with green covers can't be hardboiled, and Dr. Dick's recipe for
hardboiling writers.

Okay, I'm in a feisty, yet silly mood. Shoot me....