Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Women Authors and Genr

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 17:35:01 -0500 (CDT) At 06:04 PM 8/9/98 +0000, Lori wrote:
>Sorry for causing all this heated debate :)
>
>I just mentioned Sue Grafton and P. Cornwell to let everyone know the
>kind of female writers I liked in addition to all the male writers, like
>Andrew Vachss and Ed McBain (who is a god in my opinion).
>
>I sure did not mean to cause a debate on eqality! I love all authors who
>write good books, whether they are M or F or different colors or
>religions..
>
>I will agree that men, in alot of ways will always have a advantage over
>female writers when it comes to hard-boiled novels, especially when it
>comes to male characters. But I have found that they are pretty bad when
>writing about the feelings and actions of their female characters....
>
>please forgive the newcomer for causing trouble, but it has been a
>lively debate!

I don't think any apologies are needed. It is turning into a
pretty interesting exchange and I am learning a few things about a few writers.
I can think of very few realistically portrayed women in the
genre. As a general rule they are either impossibly virtuous or, more often,
deadly devils. In other words they correspond perfectly with a 14 year old
boy's perception of the opposite gender. Not sure if this says more about
the authors or about the audience.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net