Re[2]: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Women Authors and Genr

Words from the Monastery (jackechs@erols.com)
Sun, 09 Aug 1998 17:42:48 -0400 At 04:02 PM 8/9/98 , james.doherty@GSA.gov wrote:

>The last thing I ever thought anyone would accuse me of is political
>correctness. Nor do I think that writing a story that falls under the
>rubric of "hard-boiled" is necessarily an indication of quality. I like
>Hammett. I don't like Robert Parker. They're both hard-boiled.
>Similarly, I Grafton. I don't like Paretsky. They're both hard-boiled.
>Not including them as hard-boiled when that's clearly what they are, and
>clearly what they're trying to be, is dismissive, at least in the sense
>that it dismisses them from this list which, as I understand it, is devoted
>to discussing hard-boiled mysteries. And that's short-sighted.

Without a universally excepted definition of just what hard-boiled is ...
it is hardly dismissive or short-sighted at all from a factual standpoint.
Unless of course you feel that your definition is the only possible one to
be correct. Personally, I do not find it conducive to further discussion
when an opposing viewpoint receives such a dismissive response to what is
purely a subjective manner to begin with.

----
volente Deo,

Anthony
jackechs@erols.com or ICQ #3717510
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640>http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/4640/

"You know how some people say they if they
couldn't write, they couldn't live? I don't get that. If I
couldn't write, I'd go back to selling shoes. I have
three kids to support."

George P. Pelecanos, 1998
#