RARA-AVIS: Brackett

James Rogers (jetan@ionet.net)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 21:43:10 -0500 (CDT) At 10:23 PM 8/7/98 -0500, Nario Taoboda wrote:

>The way I see it, Leigh Brackett stands head over shoulders above every
>other female mystery writer I've read with the exception of Patricia
>Highsmith (and maybe Dorothy Hugues and Josephine Tey, but Hughes was
>not always hardboiled, and Tey was not hardboiled though she could be
>dark enough). I recently read Brackett's "An eye for an eye", a fine
>dark suspense novel without an ounce of drippiness despite the
>possibilities of the central situation.
>
>Regards, and apologies for the length of this.
>
>MT

All of the writers you mention are very good, but Brackett was a bit
of a a "writer's writer" in that she consistently turned in stories that
still hold up on virtually every genre she chose to tackle. Though she was
the consumate pulp hack, a reader nonetheless always felt that she was
giving him her best effort. She consistently demonstrated that she was
capable of good characterizations, crisp dialogue, and even some poetic
moments, but never let any of these intrude on the story value. I would
guess that there are few people on this list, or any list, who haven't
enjoyed her screenplays, though they probably didn't realize that it was her
they were enjoying.
One non-hardboiled woman worth a try is the rather depressing Hilda
Lawrence, whose _Death Of A Doll_ is rightly regarded as a bit of a classic.
One of those mysteries that almost crosses over into psychological horror.

James
James Michael Rogers
jetan@ionet.net

#