Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:A new (female type)member

Jeff Lander (jeffl@darwin3d.com)
Fri, 07 Aug 1998 18:07:07 -0700 Sara Paretsky, you mean.

I would say both Sara and Grafton are as hard-boiled as Hammett at least.
The hero is always punched out, beat up, and shot down. The stories have
all the elements. The dialog is not as sharp as Chandler but to make
money as a writer these days you need to churn out a novel a year. That
means they cannot spend nearly as much time for re-writes as Chandler did.

The Sue Grafton books are full of procedural stuff like Hammett. However,
the can tend to dip into too much "touchy feely" relationship stuff for
my taste.

Jeff

At 05:39 PM 8/7/98 -0700, you wrote:
>What about the woman who write the VI Warshowski (sp?) detective novels?
Is that